Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Kitchen Chronicles - Spring!

March Madness.  Cherry blossoms in bloom.  Easter on the horizon.  Everywhere I turn, there are images that spring has arrived back home, and despite being on the other side of the planet (where fall is on our doorstep), I've decided to ring in spring nonetheless by sharing some of the light meals I turn to when the frost thaws and the flowers bloom. These aren't so much recipes as menu suggestions if you, like me, welcome the warmer temps with lighter fare.  Enjoy! 


A simple egg at its best: soft boiled.
It's amazing how a minor tweak in cooking gives you such a luscious result.

Oh yeaaahhh...

A little fresh ground salt and pepper is all the embellishment it needs.
And if you don't have a fancy egg cup, no worries, a shot glass works beautifully.

This is my little plate of perfection: prosciutto, sweet, ripe tomatoes,
 arugula, shaved parmesan, and a soft-boiled egg with the yolk magically still intact.

Poached egg on wheat toast with capers, red onion, and tomato.
I add smoked salmon to mine, but this is how my husband likes to eat it.

Pan-fried salmon belly.
Unbelievably rich and silky, salmon belly isn't just for sushi chefs.  Bought from a
fishmonger, it's an inexpensive but absolutely indulgent piece of the fish.  I season
mine with garlic salt and pepper and pan fry it on high heat in a non-stick skillet without
butter or oil in the pan.  The result is crackling crisp skin and juicy, fatty belly meat.
Serve with grape tomatoes and arugula.  Fantastic light lunch or dinner appetizer.

2 comments:

  1. Thy, I know I asked this when you guys visited, but will you come live with us? Seriously. That all looks delicious! Seth and I visited the local farmers market today & got some fresh fruits and vegetables. We have a lot to offer, Thy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha--kaelyn: pretty sure i offered to live with you already [100th night, when you were eating the chocolate ganache with your finger in the kitchen ;-) ], so the answer is 'yes'! can't wait til we get back in the kitchen together!

    ReplyDelete